mercredi 22 octobre 2014

Metamorphosis

A rush of pity swept over me when I saw her. Her
small, pale face, streaked with dirt, was framed by a
mass of matted hair. There she crouched, on the
garbage heap, staring wide-eyed at Tipu, who was
barking furiously at her. 

I drew closer. Encouraged, Tipu lunged at the child.
He tugged angrily at her tattered dress. The girl
shrieked. 

"Down, Tipu!" I cried, running towards her.
She held an old, broken toy, in one hand. I recognis-
ed it at once, for it belonged to Baby, my little sister.
No wonder the dog was barking! How was he to know
that Baby, who grew tired of toys as fast as she got
them, had discarded this doll. 

"You want it?" I asked the girl. She only clutched
the doJl closer to her. I gently drew the toy away from
her reluctant fingers. Then I handed it back to her
with a flourish. 

"Look, Tipu. She didn't steal it. I've given her the
toy." Satisfied, Tipu dashed off in search of fresher
pastures. 

The look in those eyes did something to me, for I
found myself asking gently, "D'you want more toys?"
I remembered all the junk that littered Baby's room. 
The girl nodded.
"Look, that's my house. Come over' this evening. 
All right?"

The girl tucked the doll carefully in ttae folds of her 
rags. Then she bent down and startesd scrounging
around in the waste heap. 
The picture haunted me the whole (flay at school.
What, I wondered, was that child doing in that dirty
stinking heap? 

"A penny for your thoughts, Sunila!" Nina, my
friend, broke the silence. .. 
"Poor girl! Wish I could help her!"
"Which girl?'' asked Nina, puzzled.

I told her about the kid. "I'll give hier more toys, 
Nina, and Baby's old frocks. Maybe wte could teach
her too! Let's do something for her, Nima. She... she
looked so bad..,." 
"Oh come on, Sunila!" interrupted Mina, laughing.
"What can we do? That's hei life. I'mswre she's quite
happy." 

"No," I said stubbornly, "she doesn't even go to
school, I'm sure. Let's try to do something to make her
happy!" 
"Oh, you and your bright ideas!"
Nina's scorn did not dampen my zeal. Armed with 
an old dress and toy, I waited for the little girl to
turn up. 

She did. I ran my eyes over her. 'I'll begin by
making her wea* a clean dress,' I thought. 'After that
maybe I could persuade her to comb heir hair. Then I
would try to teach her ' 

"Sunila! Who's that?" an imperious voice asked.
My grandmother was standing in the verandah. 
The girl trembled before her august presence. My
grandmother is tall and with her bright silver hair, 
looks rather impressive. The girl must have been scared
for she turned to flee. 
I caught her hand.
"Sunila! Don't you touch that girl!" shrieked 
Grandmother.
"Why not, Dadi?"* 
"She's the sweeper's daughter. You must not touch
her," said Grandmother, as she glanced suspiciously at
me. "What do you want to do with her anyway?" 
"I.. .1 want to teach her," I answered.
"Ram, Ram! What's wrong with you, girl? Didn't I 
tell you she's the sweeper's daughter? An untouchable!"
Grandmother and her old-fashioned ideas!
"Oh, come on, Dadi," I ventured, "how does that 
matter? We've been taught in school that we're all
equal!" 
But Grandmother was not listening. She had turned
to the girl, "Be off with you, child!" 
Her words made me indignant. I looked at the
frightened girl, "Wait! What's your name?" 
"Ka.. .Kaushalya," answered a meek, soft voice.
"Will you come again tomorrow, Kaushalya?" I 
asked her gently, "and take this. It's for you." I gave
Grandmother a defiant look. 
Kaushalya snatched the frock and fled.
The next evening Grandmother stationed herself 
strategically in the front verandah. I knew she was
waiting to pounce on Kaushalya. But I could be clever
too. I heard the click of the gate and rushed out. I
met Kaushalya before she entered the lion's den. 
There was another, older girl with Kaushalya.
"Bunia, my sister," she explained. 
I learnt more about the two sisters. They did not go
to school. Instead, they worked. Bunia looked after the 
younger kids and kept house while their mother went
out to clean the streets and houses. Kaushalya's job
was to search garbage dumps for trash and paper
scraps, which their mother sold for a few paise. She
also picked up cowdung from the streets. This was
dried into flat cakes by Bunia and sold or used as fuel.
The children's father was too lazy to do anything except
eat, sleep, drink and beat up the family. 

What a miserable life, I thought. More than ever,
I wished I could give them just a bit of happiness.
Surely I was not wrong in trying to help? 
But Grandmother did not think so.
"Sunila! Go and bathe at once!" she ordered when 
I entered the house, "and stop mixing with those dirty
kids." 

"I'll make them clean, Dadi," I promised.
"Humph. They'll remain what they are. You can-
not change them!"

"And what are they, pray?" I retorted rudely. I 
was seething with anger. "Aren't they human beings
like us?" 
With that I ran into my room and slammed the
door. 

Fortunately, Mummy was more understanding.
She was generous with old clothes, eats and words of
advice. Nina joined me too. We began giving lessons
to the two untouchable girls. I had helped Baby with
her homework quite often and the experience came in
handy. But we did not dare take the sisters into the
house. Grandmother would have thrown a fit! Instead,
we confined our meetings to the garden and bathed
afterwards. 

One day, even this arrangement failed. Grandmother,
freshly bathed, came into the garden to gather
flowers for her puja. On her way back.. horror of
horrors.. .she bumped into Kaushalya! It was enough
to spark off fireworks. 
"Hai hai! The girl's touched me! I'm soiled! Chhi
—chhi—chhi! Baku* will you come here? Did you see
what happened?" 

Mummy came running out of the kitchen.
Grandmother stormed at her. Mummy was silent. 
Finally Grandmother gave an ultimatum, "Either you
get rid of those filthy kids, Baku, or I'll leave this
house!" 
With that Grandmother walked off.
Kaushalya's small face grew smaller, while her eyes, 
round and large, looked hurt and ashamed. Bunia, her
sister, hastened to put an arm around her. She looked
appealingly at Mummy, waiting for the verdict. 

Mummy set her lips into a firm line. "Sunila, the
kids will have to go!" she said. 
We could not believe it. Mummy was taking Grandmother's
side.

"Surely you don't mean it, Mummy?" I cried,
"They were doing so well! Learning so fast " 
I stopped. There was no need to argue further. The
two girls had fled. They did not come back. 
* * * 
Grandmother liked to go for a walk every morning.
That Sunday, Nina and I were hanging at the gate,
chatting, when Grandmother came out, resplendent in
crisp white, her silver hair gleaming, and an elegant
walking stick in her hand. 

"Would you like to take a walk with me, Sunila?"
I ignored the peace offer. 1 had not forgiven her for 
driving the children away.
"A spoil-sport," I commented sourly as Grand-
mother's back receded into the distance. 
"Don't be rude," protested Nina.

"Why not? She's a hypocrite. All that puja and 
prayer she does! How can she be unkind to poor little
kids? If that's her religion " 
My indignant speech was interrupted by loud
shrieks. We rushed out to see. 
"Give me that coin!" screamed a man.
"I won't. It's mine. I earned it!" we could hear a 
young girl shouting back.

We ran on, for the voice was familiar. We found 
Grandmother standing on the road, staring at a strange
scene. A little girl raced down the street, pursued
closely by a thin, dark man. I recognised Kaushalya. 
Fists clenched, eyes desperate, Kaushalya sped past
Grandmother, the man at her heels. The next moment
he had caught Kaushalya. 

"Bachao! Bachao!"* she screamed.
"So you won't give the money?" leered the man, 
trying to prise open her fist. Kaushalya fought like a
cat. "No, no! Maa told me to keep it for buying rice!" 
The man used all his brute strength to wrench the
money from the small fist. 

"Babuji, leave her!" we heard, as Bunia came
running to her sister's help. "You'll use the money for
drinking. You know we need it for rice." 
This only angered the man. He glared at Bunia and
shook Kaushalya hard. Still she refused to part with
the precious coin. Enraged, the man slapped her.
Bunia tried to pull her sister away. Her father raised
his hand. 

Slap! Slap! Slap!
The piercing sharp sounds made my head whirl 
with rage. Kaushalya reeled, staggered a few steps,
and collapsed, right near Grandmother's feet. The old 
lady stepped back hastily.

The coin fell with a tinkle on the hard pavement. 
With a cry of triumph the man pounced on it.
"I've got it! At last."
I could watch no longer.

"Catch that man!" I shouted and rushed forward. 
I had only one thought in my mind. That money must
be restored to Kaushalya. But the coward had fled.
Nina and I raced after him, watched by a dazed Bunia. 
I was conscious of Grandmother's shocked eyes as
I ran past her. A crowd watched us, but I did not care.
We must catch him, we must. 

We drew close to him. I stretched out my arm and
caught the man's shirt. He turned, dodged and fled
back the way he had come. He was out of our reach
once again. Desperately, we kept running after him. 
The man was again racing past Grandmother. I saw
Grandmother thrust out her walking stick as he sped.
Down he fell flat on his face. 

Quickly the man staggered to his feet. By then
Grandmother had stepped forward. 
"You...you scoundrel!" raged her sharp voice.
"How dare you take that money? Return it to the poor
girl, this very instant!" 

The man quailed before Grandmother's regal
presence and her voice of authority. He looked at the
old lady standing tall and erect before him and mumbled
apologetically,
"I...1 was only " 
"Return the coin, I say," Grandmother spoke
sharply. The man couldn't move. Grandmother's stern
eyes were fixed on him. 

He handed the coin to Bunia reluctantly and slunk off. 
Grandmother looked at us. She was smiling. "That
was very brave of you, girls!" 
She walked over to Kaushalya who lay on the
groound, eyes closed i big, ugly bruise on her cheek.
Shte was unconscious. 

A strange, soft lock replaced Grandmother's usually
stesrn expression as ste gazed at the thin, stunned figure
lyiing at her feet. She suddenly looked up and met our 
pu:zzled eyes.

"Come on girls! Don't stand and stare! Let's take 
thiis child into the hoise."
"What?" I cried, wondering whether I had heard 
heir right. "But.. .but, you said...."
"Never mind what I said " interrupted Grand-
mother tersely. "After all, she's a human being."
As Grandmother stooped to lift the matted hair off 
the small, dirty face, Kaushalya opened her eyes. 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire