mercredi 22 octobre 2014

Sandalwood trees

Mv parents and I lived near Karimunai village in
the Eastern Ghats. My father owned and tilled a piece
of terraced land on the hill slopes and my mother
tended our goats. I helped both of them. I also studied
in the village school. Gugu, the dog, was my companion.
Both of us loved to run up and down the hilly slopes, whenever we could.

The day I was thirteen, a terrible thing happened.
It was well after sunrise. My parents and I heard a low,
rumbling sound. The goats and Gugu felt uneasy.
Within minutes there was an explosion and a stone hit
my head. I turned round sharply, my head throbbing
with pain. 

"Amma* where are you?" I cried out. But, my
voice was drowned by the noise of the boulders rolling
down the hills. I thought I heard my mother call my
name, "Su-nan-da-!" I tried to run, but it was no use.

I gazed at the horrific landslide. Suddenly, something
sharp hit my eyes. I staggered and fell. After that, I
knew nothing till I woke up in Raogaru's house. 
When I opened my eyes, I found it was dark around
me. I had lost my eyes. Sobs shpok my frail frame.
Gugu stood by my side, licking my hand. 

Raogaru was the headmaster of the village school. 
He had brought me to his house. My parents and the
goats were killed in the landslide. Gugu and I had
had a miraculous escape, Raogaru told me. 

He and his wife, whom I called Mami* were very
good to me. But, I missed my parents. I missed my
home. But most of all the darkness around me was
shattering. I felt I was falling deeper and deeper into a
dark bottomless pit. 

I bravely suppressed my sobs. Gugu was a great
comfort. He often sat huddled close to me. I stroked
him, cuddled him and spoke to him often. 
Raogaru wanted to send me back to school; but I
refused to go. "I'm so different from the other girls,
now. Moreover, everyone will make fun of me," I
wept. Raogaru agreed, somewhat reluctantly, to let me
stay at home. 

I began to get used to my dark world. I spent a lot
of time with Mami, who was very kind to me. I learnt
to make garlands for the deities, while Mami prepared
other offerings for the puja. In the evenings, Raogaru
kept me company. We spoke on various subjects for
hours together. 

The landslides haunted me and I asked him one
day, "Tell me, uncle, why do landslides occur." 
"Man has started encroaching upon nature thoughtlessly,"
he explained.

"He is denuding the hillsides by
cutting down the trees. The trees actually help to keep
the mountain mass together. Without them, any stray
disturbance under the earth's surface causes chunks of 
the land to slide down."
"Why then, this de... de " 
"Denudation. Trees are cut down legally for various
reasons, industrial development for example. But there
is illegal felling of trees, too." 
"So it's this denudation that has deprived me of my
Amma " 

Gradually, as days passed, I gained confidence. I
could touch, feel and understand pretty well. My
nostrils told me a lot and I could hear extremely well.
I ventured out with Gugu and went for afternoon
strolls. 

I was not unfamiliar with the hills around. My
favourite haunt was a cluster of shady trees. There I
would sit, leaning against a tree trunk, with Gugu
sitting close to me. A cuckoo on the tree always greeted 
me with her clear call "Aa.. .koo " If I answered
back, she would call out louder still. 

One day, as I approached my usual resting place, a
gust of wind, with a familiar aroma, blew. I also noticed
that my bird friend was silent. "Aa...koo, Aa...
koo...," I called out. But there was no answer. 

I became curious and sat down to think. When I
tiied to lean against the tree, I realised there was no
tree. Just a short stump stood in its place. 

I quickly bent down and smelt the stump. 'Sandalwood'
thought. hastily picked up stone and
rubbed it against the core of the stump and could smell

sandalwood. walked round and found three
more such stumps. 'Who has cut down these sandalwood
 trees and why?' I wondered. 

'De-nuda-tion.' I remembered Raogaru's word
and slowly repeated it to myself. 
"Bow-wow," cried Gugu.

"Come on, Gugu, let's go home," I said and we 
hastened homewards. As I entered the gates of the
house, I told Raogaru, "Uncle..., some sandalwood
trees have been felled on that side. Who has cut them?" 
"I don't know, Sunanda. I must check with
Mudaliar," said Raogaru walking away. Mudaliar was 
the head constable at the village police station.
The next day, after my usual stroll with Gugu, I 
had fresh news for Raogaru. More sandalwood trees
had been cut. 

But Raogaru was emphatic. "Sunanda, I have asked
Mudaliar. He says the area and the sandalwood trees
are well protected and no one can break a single twig." 
"Surely," said Mami, supporting me, "Sunanda
couldn't be imagining all she said." 

"In fact," continued Raogaru, "Mudaliar was quite
upset and asked me to tell Sunanda that she should not
spread such rumours any more." 
"Well! Who would take a blind girl of thirteen
seriously?" I murmured unhappily. 

"Come, Sunanda. Don't feel so upset about it."
Mami put her arm round my shoulders and comforted
me. But I was sure that valuable sandalwood was being
stolen.

Early the next morning, Gugu and I walked to the
sandalwood area. I let Gugu lead me and after a great
search found a nice hiding place behind a bush. There I
waited impatiently for a long time. 

I had almost dozed off when Gugu growled. I was
immediately alert. The next minute, Gugu sprang forward,
 barking, while I crouched well behind the bushes
and waited with bated breath. I heard footsteps
approaching. As they came nearer, Gugu stopped
barking. 

Somebody asked, "What are you doing here doggy?
Patrolling like me, eh?" 
I recognised Mudaliar's voice. He had not noticed
me, I presumed. When I could no more hear his receding
footsteps, relaxed. However, nothing happened during
the rest of the day and returned home.
The following night, I waited for the clock to chime
eleven. I heard Raogaru and his wife snoring. Motioning
to Gugu to follow me, quietly slipped out
of the house.

Long before we reached the sandalwood trees. I
heard a low whirring noise. Gugu became uneasy and
growled. "Shsh.. .Gugu! Don't you make a noise,"
I whispered, holding him firmly by the collar.
We walked on and the noise became louder and
louder. Suddenly, it struck me, 'Hey! Even if there's
something fishy going on, the place must be well lit.
Men can't be working in the dark. And they will see
me.' 

Hastily I pushed Gugu to one side of the path.
Crouching low and holding the dog by the collar, I
crept forward, listening intently.
The whirring noise was incessant and there was also
the sound of moving vehicles. After what seemed an
eternity, the whirring ceased and I could hear men
speaking to one another. 

"Enough for today, Ramesh. It's getting to be
two o' clock. And remember, ten percent of the money
you earn by selling this sandalwood is mine. Otherwise
the authorities would be alerted and you would be
behind bars for the rest of your life." 

My heart skipped a beat for the voice I heard was
that of Mudaliar. I held my breath, gripping Gugu's
collar tight. 

"Of course, Sir," replied another voice.
Soon all was quiet. My heart thumped like a steam 
engine as I rushed back home with Gugu. Quietly I got
into bed, but could not sleep a wink. Mudaliar's voice
was ringing in my ears. 

In the morning, as soon as Raogaru was awake, I
told him everything. "Are you sure, Sunanda?" he 
asked me.
"Positive, Uncle."
"Then, I must take this up with police headquarters 
at Ootacamund," Raogaru said decisively.
Mami stroked my head gently. "Brave girl," she 
said.

After a few days, I was called to police headquarters 
with Raogaru. There, I was asked several questions to
confirm what I had already told Raogaru. On the way
home, I asked Raogaru what would happen to
Mudaliar. 
"If there's enough evidence against him, he will be
arrested," he said. 

A month or so later, one morning, Raogaru took
my hands in his and said warmly, "My dear Sunanda!
You have been given a reward by the police department
for helping them unravel a sandalwood racket." 
I grabbed both his hands and pressed them to my
lips. 

"Oh wonderful!" cried Mami. "I'll makepayasam*
today a#d offer it to Lakshmi Devi." 
"What is more," said Raogaru, "I have decided to
admit Sunanda in the National School for the Blind.

Sunanda, there you will learn a useful vocation. I'll
put your reward money in the bank. It will help you
get a good start in life." 
I wanted to thank Raogaru, but words failed me.
I was too overwhelmed. 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire